View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010, 09:25 AM
Patticake

Who taught you how to quilt?
My mother had a friend that was 20 years older than her and this friend loved to quilt. I was fascinated by her quilting and when I was about 12, she gave me my first quilting lesson. I'll never forget this wonderful lady and the special gift she gave me.

What pattern was the first quilt you made?
King size Grandmother's Flower Garden appliqued on solid squares. Not very smart for a first quilt.

Do you still have your 1st quilt?
Yes, when I decide to make a quilt that seems to be a challenge, I get this one out and reminisce on how hard it was. I don't think anything will ever be harder than that first quilt I made.

Which of your quilts is your favorite and why?
Usually the one I just finished because I'm so excited have it done but the quilt I made for my oldest daughter's wedding (my avatar) is my favorite for now. I'm working on a whole cloth quilt for my second daughter's wedding now. That may be come my favorite. We will see.

What do you do with the quilts you make?
Mostly I give them away to family and friends but more and more I'm making them for myself. I have quilted for over 30 years and a few years ago realized I only had 4 quilts I'd made. I decided to remedy that and have made 6 quilts for myself since then.

What is the oldest quilt in your collection?
A quilt my Great Grandmother made in the late 1800's. She did not have power in her house at the time and never owned a sewing machine. It hangs proudly in my living room and is made of old clothes and sheets. I am currently working on a quilt (Grandmother's Flower Garden) completely hand stitched in memory of her. The top is almost finished and then I will also hand quilt it.

Do you belong to a guild, or attend workshops?
No

Have you ever entered a quilt in a quilt-show or fair?
No, I've been encouraged to do so many times but I'm not sure I would like it. I don't quilt to be graded. I quilt just for the love of quilting.

Have you encouraged others to try quilting?
Yes, in fact, I have a friend that recently retired and she asked if I would teach her to quilt. We have had a great time quilting together.

Why do you quilt?
Lots of reasons but mostly because I love quilts and quilting. I love old fashioned designs for myself but love trying new designs too. I also quilt to give a part of myself to someone else. (Some people don't understand this.) Quilting is very relaxing for me.

I also quilt so my kids, grandkids, and great grandkids will have something to remember me by. Therefore, my signature:
A quilt is a hug for future generations. :)

Oldest Daughter's Wedding Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]101144[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-101139.jpe