Old 08-21-2010, 05:16 PM
Dorothy Ann

Well this is a tough one. I can see that there is some controvery over the article in the very same issue as my last quilt. I design for McCall's Quilting and I just saw that a member of the forum entered my So Blissful Quilt, July/Aug 2010 issue in a Fair. I am the sole owner of the copyright and as such, the law says she should have gotten written permission from me before displaying it in a public place. You see, when she entered the quilt without my name on it as the designer, she implied it was her design. I get requests all the time and time and time again I have given permission. It takes a little time to do that, but the design legally belongs to me. My quilts are not taken from public domain patterns, they are all quite original. McCall's provided a contract giving them permission to publish the quilt. I signed the contract which also stated that I could not make a pattern of the quilt for sale for four months after the quilt is published. It has not been four months and I purchased 60 magazines from McCall's to provide the pattern. I posted a comment about her quilt, it was well pieced and quilted and I did not mention that she should have asked permission. I know that so many people don't even know the copyright law, I'm sure she didn't and I was secretly pleased she chose that pattern and the fabric I used. I would certainly like to know how you guys feel about this. I welcome comments and hope that I did not offend, I would really hate to do that. Dorothy Ann Weld

This picture was taken just before it was mailed to McCall's
[ATTACH=CONFIG]101686[/ATTACH]

An EQ6 virtual in another fabric line
[ATTACH=CONFIG]101687[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-101681.jpe   attachment-101682.jpe