Old 08-21-2010, 06:33 PM
Dodie

Originally Posted by Dorothy Ann
Hi Dodie, please don't cancel your membership to one of the finest quilt magazines on the market. McCall's didn't write the laws and they are some of the sweetest people in the world. I know because I design for them and they are so wonderful. I email and speak to those fine ladies almost every week and I know that they are only trying to protect my rights along with all of their other designers. I have a quilt in another magazine and I signed my rights to the quilt over to the magazine. It wasn't all that original and quite frankly, it was the only reason I allowed the fabric company I designed it for to submit it. I didn't feel comfortable copyrighting it. McCall's finds patterns and quilts they think the general public will enjoy. You can make 20 of each of the quilts without asking permission, you can show them off to your friends, give them as gifts and I assume show them at show and tell at your guild. It's that if you place it in a public place, it can then easily become public property. McCall's often publish articles about quilting issues that don't pertain to a needle or thread. They are really an amazinrg group of hard working deligent people. I'm so very proud to be published in their magazine and I want you to see all of my quilts. I have two coming out next year, please don't miss them. Dorothy Ann
I do not need any magazines I can use EQ6 as well as anyone then when I enter the fair I will not have to look over my shoulder I already called the other 2 people that I gave the magazine to and explained why the next issue would be their last they also agreed did not know we cannot use the pattern or quilt after paying big bucks for both patterns and fabric wonder if those people even had a clue why we spent money on their magazines there was a pattern in the quilt shop I would of bought last week but 12.95 plus all the fabric then could not show it no thank you I left the pattern in the shop and told them why