Old 08-21-2010, 08:15 PM
garysgal

Originally Posted by Dorothy Ann
Well, I can see that all of you are upset about a law that I didn't write and haven't agreed or disagreed with. I sensed that your anger is somehow aimed at me. It is my profession. I take a huge risk when I publish and kit the quilt. I lose money on some, and others I make money, but not a lot. I just love what I do. And I will not call anything you have said, garbage. It is your individual opinion. I was only trying to share from a different perspective. I didn't expect to be quoted and vented to. I'm a teacher by profession and I encouraged individual thought. I still do, but I have not written anything other than the presentation of my views.
Dorothy Ann, no one is angry with you. We are just trying to tell you that If someone publishes a pattern, then why not note then and there that we can use it freely and not worry about what we do with it? When I used the word "garbage" I was NOT refering to your words per se, I don't use curse words, so I was trying to tell you politely, that telling someone they can make up to 20 copies of something is silly. It makes no sense. How do you know how many they are going to make? And how does the magazine publisher know?
Tell me something, it seems that you are representing McCalls quilting ( your use of the phrase " we hate to see you go") here, so why now is McCalls printing this article"? Is it because someone used one of their quilts as you said someone here did and they are trying to let people know they can't do what she did? I can't remember in all my years of taking quilting magazines any articles like this one. Something must have triggered it.