View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 04:53 AM
egagnon291

Originally Posted by postal packin' mama
good grief, girl! That's absolutely beautiful.
Also, the scalloped border is very impressive. You should do a tutorial for us on how you produced such perfect scallops - seriously.
I've never done scallops before. They were hit or miss. I only put scallops on the sides and bottom. All I did was measure the sides and bottom of the quilt. I made a temple of the entwined hearts that were on the quilt (minus the birds) as a quilting pattern for the scallops and that originally determined the size I wanted. Then I drew a template of the size I wanted the scallops to be and divided the measurement of the scallop into the measurement of each quilt side to see how many fit. I had to adjust the scallop size a few times until I had an even measurement. My final measurement was slightly off and I made the necessary adjustment on the two corner scallops where it really didn't show. I drew the shape of the scallop onto the quilt in pencil and when I had it where I wanted I basted around the quilt. I did this before I actually started quilting. When I finished the quilting (all by hand - it took forever) I rebasted around the scallops and cut the scalloped edges with pinking shears and put on a bias binding which really worked up nicely. It took a while to do it right and I don't know if I did them correctly. There may be a better way but I was pleased with the overall outcome.