Old 08-22-2010, 09:01 AM
grammy Dwynn

It sure is nice that I'm not alone in these request.

What started me thinking on this - I have a friend of about 20 years. She asked if I could make some valances for her bay window. I think valances, no problem. Well she shows up with upholstery fabric, 2 colors and limited amount (plus a rubber-y-ish back). She asked if I could make them striped. After doing all the math work, there is JUST enough fabric... meaning NO mistakes. I make them, she loves them, looks wonderful... kiss, kiss, thanks... bye. Okay she did take me to lunch for my troubles.

THEN (same friend) sees that I do hand embroidery. She says... oh I haven't done that in years. Can you give me a refresher course. OKAY (she is a friend) I say. She shows up with her iron on pattern OMG IMHO it is too intricate, but its her choice. I make her some oversize blocks of the Kona cotton I recommended she get. She does her thing, and the turned out fairly descend. BUT she starts asking about turning it into a quilt.... by me. So I get the thousand questions. She: How much fabric? Me: What size do you want? She: Large sofa throw? Me: How many color do you want? She: I don't know, what do you think? Me: IMHO hand embroidery is better off as a wall hanging! She: I really want it as a sofa throw! So how much fabric do I need? I then figure out that I am getting not making head way. THAT IS WHEN I suggested that she take a 101 quilting class.... guess what she did it. But I am still holding her hand.

She is finding out that you don't take a yard of fabric and turn it into a 'king size quilt' :roll: or that it only takes a day or two of your time ;-) Slowly she is getting it. :thumbup: