View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 09:45 AM
Ditter43

I had so many questions about how I did my quilt as you go string quilt, a tutorial seemed the best way to answer all the questions.

First cut your strips. I cut them in varying widths from 1 1/4" to 1 3/4". Since you will be sewing across the bias of your backing square, try to cut most of your strips on the straight of grain.
Cut your backing squars what ever size you want the finished block to be, adding an inch for squaring up the finished block. Cut the same number of batting. It is best to use the same batting for all the squares. Then layer your batting and backing squares.
I found it helpful to use basting spray to hold them together. It prevents a lot of slipping of the layers while sewing.
If you are going to make a checked backing like I did on my quilt, cut half your backing squares from each backing fabric you choose. You could use as many different backing fabrics as you want for another look to the finished back.
I then stack my backing squares with like backing in seperate piles, and have my "strings" in seperate piles, one light, the other darker fabrics in a second area.
If you want the same color in the center of each block, cut those and put them with your backings.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-101896.jpe   attachment-101897.jpe