View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 01:17 PM
kristen0112

Originally Posted by alaskasunshine
Originally Posted by trupeach1
I have been canning for years and use a big pot as I don't have a canner or pressure. Sure Jell has a no sugar needed pectin. I would use that so that your jam comes out perfect. Make sure the label says less/no sugar sure jell it is in a pink box. If you can't find it in the store amazon.com sells it but you have to buy something like 6 or 8 boxes. The regular sugar added Sure Jell is in a yellwo box.
I bought Ball No-Sugar Needed Fruit Pectin. But I am not clear if I need lemon juice! Geeze I don't wanna screw this up :? Anyone for a trip to Alaska to help this knuckle head out???
I would come and I have relatives that live up there and in the Yukon LOL. Really jam is easy. Follow the directions and you'll do fine. As for methods I put all my jars on a cookie sheet place in oven set at 250. Then I place all the lids rubber ring side up in a pan of water and set those on a med low. Then when jam is ready fill your jars, I use a fork to fish the lids out of the hot water and then place on top of the hot jar of jam and screw on the lid tight. I simply set them somewhere without a draft and they all pop.