Old 08-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Dorothy Ann

Oh my, this will be my next to last post. Candi, I appreciate the very gracious comment about my quilt. Thank you. One last time I will say how much I love designing quilts. I have at least 500 and both of my computers threaten to crash. If I were to never be published again, I would continue to create. It is who I am and what I want to do. Very few people see the garden that is my back yard but almost all who do are encouraged to take a cutting, root, or a few seeds. I am forever the sharing sort. What disturbs me is the direction this has taken wherein the phrase, what the designers at McCall's wants. is used. You have no idea what I or any of the other designers at McCall's want. Your comment about hanging a sign in the library saying that none of the quilts displayed were from McCall's was a good idea and would serve McCall's right. I can see that you have firmly turned this into a vendeta against a magazine and their designers simply because you don't agree with the law. What I hope is that all magazines will respond to your inquiry. Fons and Porter, I have a quilt 'Flag It' in the current Fall issue of their Easy Quilts. It is a free fully downloadable pattern on their site. I did not retain the copyright, if anyone has it, it is Fons and Porter. For the record and my last word on the matter. I have defended the law, it was the right thing to do. Designing comes easily to me, but perhaps not for all. In the past year and a half I have had eleven quilts published in some way, three in McCall's and one in Easy Quilts. I am just plain blessed and know it. Did you read the post where I said I designed a quilt for the ladies so they could raffle it off in honor of their friend who lost her arm and shoulder to cancer? I named the quilt, 'For the Love of Bettie' and helped them make it. If not, please read this. I received a call last week from someone who sounded so carefree, I thought she must know me. As it turned out she and her church quilt group were in a quilt shop in a nearby city; they had come to pick out fabric for a quilt they would make to raffle for their church. They do this every year. She said they had come in a van and that everyone had brought books and magazines in order to find a quilt they would make this year. She said that the vote was unanimously for Oh What A Beautiful Morning, my quilt in McCall's Sept/Oct issue. She asked if we could overnight a kit on Monday because one of their members was a teacher and really wanted to help. We finished our conversation at 2:30 with my promise to try to get it in the mail before the Post Office closed at 3:00. My helper and I made it with four minutes to spare. They don't know yet about the copyright permission law. It wasn't the important thing to me. Them getting that kit Monday was the important thing. And because the design is mine to give, I did without ever even mentioning it to them and with absolute joy that I could be a part of that endeavor. One more and I'm done.