Old 08-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Charlee

Originally Posted by Karen
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by Karen
I have started cleaning my treadle! It is coming along pretty good, but I would like to know if there is a trick to getting the rust off the hand wheel?! And part of the pretty decals are coming off..is that supposed to do that?

Thanks for the Help!
Karen the decals should be treated very gently so their integrity will not be compromised. But it sounds like the shellac is already worn down so you need to be very careful when cleaning the surface.

There are several ways to cleaning the rust off of the handwheel and plated parts. If you have a battery charger you can clean it off with electrolysis or use vinegar and water solution.

Billy

BIlly,
Thank you. I was afraid of that. Is liquid gold going to be enough to protect the decals. They are so very pretty and I don't want to mess them up any more than they already are! Maybe put on a layer of clear coat? I guess the question really is what can I do to protect them from any more damage.

Is the vingar bath done basically the same as the kerosene bath?

Thanks!
Karen
Be careful with the vinegar. Mix it half and half with water, and soak your parts for an hour...scrub, rinse and check, and then soak again for half an hour to an hour at a time. If you soak too long, the acid in the vinegar will eat the remaining metal and cause irrepairable damage...