View Single Post
Old 12-11-2006, 10:33 AM
Boo

Ok, Misty, you asked for it! Doing a scallop is not as hard as it may seam. Get it? Seam? I just crack myself up. :lol: Okay, now on to the lesson. A scallop is made by marking the edge of the quilt, quilting, sewing on bias binding, trimming then bringing the binding to the back and hand stitching. Some patterns with scalloped borders will include quilting lines that mimic the scallop. If this is not the case in your quilt, you can create your own scallops.
It is much easier to bind gentle scallops than it is to deal with inside points on sharp curves. I will quote Fons and Porter's Quilter's Complete Guide. "To design curved border..., cut a rectangle from tracing paper equal to repeat-unit length and border width. Undulating Curve. Fold rectangle in fourths vertically and horizonally to form drawing guidelines. Draw gentle curve in upper right portion; then fold paper to trace curve onto other sections of paper. Use this basic undulating curve to plan flowing applique or borders." Unfortunately I cannot include a picture of this method for drawing the gentle curves. If you don't own this book, check at the local library or quilt shop.