View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 11:07 AM
catrancher

Originally Posted by justme2
I started to join a guild....as a provisional member.It took just 3 mos to see it wasn't anything I wanted to belong to.It'd take a book to explain,but favoring some members/ignoring others was one example.I'm way past the age of acting like a naughty 5yr old,but it's their guild.It's not just guilds either.We've seen some funny going ons at diff orgs.JMO
Originally Posted by catrancher
Originally Posted by quiltmom04

We did this at our quild, too, but I don't recall there being prizes of any value, so winners and losers didn't matter so much. Maybe that's the answer. And we made the blocks into charity quilts as well!
Our prizes weren't particularly valuable. Most had an inexpensive pattern in them, a fat quarter, and a couple of pieces of candy. But the value wasn't the point. It's just no fun to play a game like Bingo and lose all the time while the same people keep winning all the time. The woman who came to our table to "teach us how to play" said that it was okay to cheat at this game, but for the "big money" then no. I wasn't sure what the difference was. In my book, cheating is cheating regardless of the price of the prize.
It's amazing isn't it? These women are so clique-y--like high school. But they bring in good speakers. I like the charity quilting and the block of the month. If it weren't for this forum and my guild's show and tell, I wouldn't really have many people to show off my quilts to. And we're doing a challenge quilt that is a lot of fun too. So there is a lot I like about it. I just had to get over the idea that I might make some friends there. I won't.