View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 04:33 AM
QuiltswithConvicts

I use newsprint, but I don't use the printer. Since I make so many Mariner's Compass quilts, I need 8 or 16 copies of the patterns. I make 1 copy and layer & staple that many pieces of newsprint together. Unthread the machine and put in a dull needle (save your dull ones in a prescription bottle). Use the default setting for stitch length and stitch on every line. Don't forget to add your 1/4" seam allowance on the outside edge. Do this by setting your machine to your prefered way of getting a 1/4" seam and stitch with the edge of the presser foot on the outside line. It can feel a bit awkward at first - like you are sewing backwards, but it works, especially around those curves! Just curl your paper up to get it to fit in the harp space.

Remove the staples and number the pieces like the original pattern. I prefer the newsprint in the BIG pads, but am settling for the roll ends from the newspaper. They sell them here really cheap! Bonus is that you have a large sheet of paper when you need one as the roll is 26" wide!