Old 08-24-2010, 04:13 PM
chamby

Originally Posted by madamekelly
I once answered yes when asked to make a wedding dress for the little neighbor girl. She and I agreed that she would pay whatever she thought it was worth, (stupid, I know) She brought me white, heavy weight satin, and beautiful silver shot white lace. The pattern was a simple sheath dress, that she wanted lace puff sleeves, with satin cuffs. I am fast with a sewing machine, and had the dress done the next day. It was elegant! She took one look, and decided it was too plain. I told her to go get some trim she liked and I would add it. She came back hours later with the UGLIEST 1/2 inch round silver sequins, that she wanted sewn around the neck, hem and kick- pleat. (Oh, and could I get rid of the gray thread they were strung on?) I did it.....by hand, since my machine was made on this planet, and cannot sew over anything that huge. Her dress was NOT pretty any longer, but she was thrilled with it. She left the next day on her honeymoon. Can we say last minute anyone? When she came back a week later, she stopped by to pay me. Imagine my DELIGHT when she handed me $10! NO, I do not do command-sewing anymore!
Wow, what an insult. Never ever say whatever you think it is worth. Some people think that means free. That is why I stopped decorating cakes years ago. They would say but a cake mix only cost $1(that was then).