View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 08:33 PM
JJs
Banned

I'm going to say one more thing about all this copyright stuff and then no more.

First of all, I resent it when some on here say something about "stealing from designers" to show a quilt without permission - how is it stealing when you PAY FOR THE PATTERN/MAGAZINE/BOOK.

Secondly, and I think most importantly, the quilting community has always been one of SHARING. Women who were isolated by their circumstances shared patterns in rare letters, got together and quilted while they exchanged news and gossip. Freely shared the patterns they created. And now we have these so-called special designers who negate that whole community. I have no problem whatsoever with a designer being compensated and receive credit for a quilt design, a book of instruction and patterns, a new technique, etc. My problem is their wanting to control the resulting quilt that someone makes. I also think they are on a power trip when they make someone who PAYS MONEY FOR A PATTERN in good faith take an extra step to ask permission (which may or may not be granted) to show the finished quilt.

A friend of mine wrote to a designer and asked about this very thing - the designer wrote back "You do not need my permission to put a quilt you made with my design in a show." She also said that it was not necessary to put her info on the quilt but she would appreciate it. And that lady has some fantastic designs!

I've put quilts in one show something like 20 years ago - and even back then they were my own designs - so no problem for me to give credit where due - yea rah me....
I may or may not (probably not) ever put quilts in a show again - our guild keeps talking about having a show - and any quilts I would put in a show would be my own design. So it's a moot point to me all this hoopla over the copyright stuff. I use public domain blocks in my own arrangements, with my own color schemes, and my own fabric choices.

And I'll be my own 'designer' using EQ!

And I'll have tons of fun while the other designers worry about whether or not they've wrung every last ounce of credit and praise and whatever else it is they are looking for/expecting out of the patterns they oh-so-graciously "make available"...

And I will make it a point to only use patterns that GIVE PERMISSION beforehand IF I decided to use someone else's pattern. And I have used patterns in the past - Blooming 9 patch is one (great pattern by the way) but won't put that quilt in a show - too much hassle to track somebody down and ask permission.
yea yea, I know, designers say oh it's easy to ask - just email - what about people without internet, or just call - I'm sure the designer will love to get collect calls, or write, ok, track down an address, write, go to post office.... yuk