View Single Post
Old 06-27-2007, 07:54 AM
quiltmaker101

Just got back from vacation in NW Arkansas. What a charming town Eureka Springs is!

There are at least 4 quilt shops, so I got to snoop during a rain storm. We were camping on Beaver Lake and I couldn't stay in that tent for a 2nd rainy day!

The Amish Quilt shop was so incredible! No pics allowed, or I would be sharing them here. Those quilts sell for $1200 a piece and more! Perfect little stitches in the hand quilting, although I didn't see any fancy quilting. Mostly in the ditch.

I was disappointed that the shops with "affordable quilts" send locally pieced tops overseas for the quilting, and it looked terrible. Like it was basting, and done by a 10 year old. They were trying to sell everything at 75% off (about $150 for a king size quilt) but I was turned off by the overseas thing, so I didn't even consider it.

Anyway, I highly recommend Eureka Springs if anyone goes that way. So many shops, restaurants, events. Friendly people, and great weather compared to Pensacola!

I wanted to tour the Carrie Nation House, but it was closed when we stopped by. I don't know if she made up that block, or if it was named for her.

Great to be back!