View Single Post
Old 08-25-2010, 07:26 AM
Diannia

Another thing I've done for 2 of my granddaughter's (same 1 and her little sister that's almost 3) is a got them each a display board (one of those project display boards that folds up into 3rds) and covered them with a vinyl/felted tablecloth. Now they each have a design wall of their own. I give them scraps and they go to town sticking them onto their design wall. When done I just fold them up and put them behind my cabinet. The older one (4 yr) had designed her own doll quilt. I gave her 6" squares and let her lay them out how she wanted them on my design wall. Then she sat in my lap and helped me sew them. I had my hands on the fabric first and her hands on top of mine. After she got comfortable with that we switched and my hands were on top of hers. Finally she held the fabric and I kept my hands close but not touching. During all of this I had my machine on it's slowest setting and I ran the foot pedal. She picked out the borders and the backing. I birthed it and we finished it by her picking out a decorative stitch and we "tied" it w/the decorative stitch on my machine. She then practiced her cutting by trimming the threads between the stitches. This project took us some time as again her attention span was 10-15 minutes at a whack. Sometimes I'd ask her if she wanted me to sew a bit w/o her and if she said yes then I did but mostly we did it together.