View Single Post
Old 08-25-2010, 08:20 AM
jeanau

I have an old wooden tree that was in my parents' home for as long as I can remember. When Mom and Dad moved into an apartment, they gave it to me. For about 5 years I kept it in the diningroom of the little home I moved to after my late husband's death. I used it to hang up coats and jackets of visitors. A few years ago, both of my parents passed away, and I found an old folded up denim cap in my mothers' dresser drawer. It had belonged to her father, my Pap. He wore it while he worked. I remarried last year and when I moved into my new husband's home, I put the wooden clothes tree in my sewing room and hung my Pap's hat on one of the hooks. I use the other hooks to hang up clothes that need to be altered. When I quilt, I see it and remember.. so many people and so many good times together. The other day while I was sewing, I remembered an old red work childrens' quilt that my Grandma gave me. It had various storybook characters stitched in the large squares, and was on my bed througout elementary school. Unfortunately, my Mom didn't save it and it only lives on in my memories. So, I have decided to make a small redwork type of throw to help keep my memories alive. I love connections from my past to my present! What about you? :-)