Old 08-25-2010, 10:32 AM
Favorite Fabrics

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

The beauty of any fabric, of course, likes in how it looks in the finished quilt.

And there have been many discussions on the differences in quality between quilt-shop fabrics and chain-store fabrics.

But, of the quilt-shop fabrics, when you're talking "basics" or blenders... fabrics that you probably bought because they were just the right color... are there certain lines that you think are worth more?

Let me explain where I'm going with this. Pretty much every fabric company has a line of basics/blenders. And some companies give you a little bit of a quantity discount, and some don't. All the prices have been inching up (well, ok, more than inching in some cases!). Just today I was looking at some of the new ones coming out by Robert Kaufman - they're Patrick Lose designs - and they're going to cost, on the wholesale level, about 75 cents more per yard than other companies' basic blenders.

Do you think the price difference is warranted? Are there certain basics and blenders that you think are worth paying more for? Which ones? How much more?