View Single Post
Old 08-25-2010, 07:11 PM
Jo Belmont

Originally Posted by Corry
Originally Posted by Jo Belmont
It was just last week I discovered a sure-fire method for producing and printing PERMANENT, WASHABLE-WITHOUT-FADING LABELS of any size (up to letter/legal) on ANY quilting fabric (as long as it has been washed first to get rid of the sizing, etc.). Of course you have many font choices through whatever program/word processor you use, but don't forget that you can use colors, add pictures, graphics, etc. . . . whatever you can print, you can put on the label.

Prior to this, I had prematurely put to rest a couple printers and said aloud a whole bunch of words I didn't even know I knew.

HERE'S HOW I DISCOVERED TO DO IT:

You need 1) a piece of cardstock, 2) a can of quilt basting spray, and 3) a piece of washed, ironed (NOT starched) fabric for your label at least as large as the cardstock.

Lay the cardstock on a sheet of newsprint or freezer paper, etc. to catch any overspray. Give it a good spray overall with the basting spray, being very sure to get all the edges, especially the top and bottom edges. Lay fabric on top of the cardstock and smooth out so it's all very flat. Unless you have really "dampened" your cardstock, you shouldn't need to put the cardstock/fabric under a book or anything; just give it a few minutes to be sure it is absolutely dry.

With your rotary cutter, trim the fabric exactly to the edges of the cardstock. Place in your printer in the proper way so the fabric meets the ink cartridges (on mine, as with most printers, the fabric goes in the tray face down and comes out face up with the image thereon).

HERE ARE SOME PRINTING TIPS:

Start your label at least a couple inches down the page. That way, if your printer happens to "hesitate" just a tad when it's grabbing the cardstock/fabric, it will have settled after the first inch or two and your image won't be distorted.

Set your printer up for "BEST" quality. That ensures that you're going to get maximum ink and saturation on the fabric without a "bleed."

Let the newly printed image set for at least 10 minutes, then iron with a piece of unstarched fabric over the image. MAKE SURE TO USE YOUR IRON ON DRY AND TRY IT OUT BEFORE PUTTING IT OVER THE LABEL TO MAKE SURE ALL THE WATER/STEAM IS GONE. Set it on high heat and iron over it several times with the piece of fabric over it. This "sets" the ink. Let cool thoroughly before cutting and sewing it.

THE PRINTER I USE:
I have used inkjets (HPs mostly), but I've had the absolute most resounding success with my KODAK ESP7 printer which uses pigment inks, unlike the inket cartridges. The inkjets will work, but I think the pigment inks are somewhat more lasting.

(Well, I certainly didn't think I'd go on so long, but perhaps this will help.) Thanks for your time. ~Jo
are you saying that buying the pretreated fabrics are not necessary? And we don't need the bubblejet solution? We don't have to treat the fabric with all these expensive things?
That's exactly what I'm saying. All you need is a sheet of cardstock, a spritz of quilt basting spray, and a laundered piece of fabric for the label - plus your computer, printer, etc. - and your iron. That's it ... all the stuff at hand anyway. I'm for saving $ where ever, whenever.