View Single Post
Old 08-25-2010, 08:59 PM
Gerbie

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Alright I have a bunch of Denim and I want to make a quilt for my son out of it. But I need to get some ideas as to what I want to do.

Do I want a rag quilt, do I want something like a DP9? I dont know but I like the modern look of the different sized blocks in different shades. Kinda like the Partridge Family bus paint job.......

So post some pics of yours or you favorite designs so I can get an idea as to what I am shooting for.

Billy

This is rather long but here are my instructions for two different quilts using denim
Billy, I don't know how to post pic. yet, but I made one for my son several years ago, top and backing - heavy enough so I didn't use batting, tied it instead of quilting. I used the back pockets of an adult pair of jeans, (mens)of various lengths of 2-2 l/2 " wide strips. It is called the pineapple quilt pattern.
The pocket section was an 8' square at least this size with the pocket in the very center of the 8', then like the log cabin I added a strip across each side and across the top and bottom. Then in my 4 corners I folded a prairie point of bandana fab. with folded point to inside of the square then sewed another strip on each side and on top and bottom catching the point fab in the seams, and made several rows like this adding the prairie points in each corner. I did this for at least 4 rows. Turned out great. added a border of denim and added the backing. DON'T USE ANY DENIM WITH STREACH in it, ask me how I know on 4 blocks lol. I just finished it by putting backing and top right sides together sewing and turning inside out. I won a blue ribbon on it at the Fall Fair.
This summer some friends and I made a denim and reg. fab. quilt for a 80th B-Day friend, making 6 1/2' blocks of both types of fabs. alternating denim and then fab. blocks, making them reversible by sewing wrong sides together, thus leaving the right sides showing on both sides and fraying the edges of each block. We did this by sewing all around each block in for at least l/4" to l/2", then cutting the edges each cut was l/8"-l/4" wide ( your choice) to the seam line. We sewed the blocks totgether so that we had one side of each block joined as you would in any other quilting, and this meant the fraying had to be done on each edge that was joined together. We alternated denim and reg. fab. together, so we would never had a double thickness of denim together. We then put these together in the number of rows we wanted. When the quilt is fluffed and washed the edges fray a lot. We did not add batting nor border, just sewed completely around the quilt when we had the number of blocks we wanted. However to give the same weight as the denim blocks we sandwiched three or four pieces of reg. fab. together in the reg. fab. blocks. I hope these two instructions make some sense to you.
Sorry I can't post a pic. to show the finished products. but I don't know how to do that. I tried to follow the instructions on this site but I must be missing something when I try. My daughter once told me I was illiterate when it came to computers. I laughed and told her, she was illiterate too when it came to sewing, (she doesn't sew at all) we both had a good laugh, she has never made that comment to me since, but I really think she is right lol.