View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 03:44 AM
quiltmaker

Originally Posted by garysgal
To all who have been posting on the thread about the McCalls article, I want to apologize for my posts. It has been brought to my attention that I was rude, and said things I shouldn't have. I got way too passionate and upset about the whole thing, and I made a complete fool of myself. The topic is one that upset a lot of people and I added to it. I am sorry. You are a great bunch of ladies and I don't want to be a sore on anyone's finger. I hope everyone involved can forgive me and I hope to control myself in the future.

I don't believe you need to apologize. Maybe my thoughts are somewhat simplistic but why on earth would they even print patterns in magazines, etc., that the general public purchases when one could NOT make, give away or sell the item once they made it. It seems ridiculous to me to have such a fit over someone using their pattern without their specific permission if they have it published. The simple solution would be show a picture and not the pattern and the problem would be solved. Course then no one would purchase the magazines, books, patterns at all and then they would make no money which would defeat their purpose of making money.

We are all greatful for the abundance of pattern designers out there but my very humble opinion is that since the beginning time of quilting... all patterns have been repeated over and over again with various changes to make it different. An example would be the Dear Jane groups...Brenda loved that quilt and honored Jane by recreating her treasure so all would love and enjoy her contribution to the art of quilting. I can imagine Jane up in heaven smiling down and thinking. "WOW, I never imagined people would love my quilt that much and what a thrill it is to know the joy I've brought to others".

Not to take away from designers but if they are so fussy about their particular patterns then they should not publish the pattern for others to see. Show off your quilts but not your patterns and then the problem would be easily solved.

When I spend my money it is for my use no matter what it is and there should be no limitations placed on my purchase. When there are limitations my choice is that they don't need my money.

Just my very humble opinion.