Thread: Using Starch
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 03:53 AM
quiltmaker

Originally Posted by grayladym
I have to share this. I completed a 3-day Harriet Hargrave workshop and I'll pass on what she has to say on the subject of starch vs. spray sizing, or Mary Ellen's Best Pressed (my personal favorite until now). She is a well-informed teacher, lecturer and a proponent of cutting all quilting pieces on the grain. About 50 years of quilting, and being a shop owner, teacher/lecturer has proven her method works. To achieve her method, quilters are instructed make a cut at the fold and tear the fabric from the fold to both selveges. Steam press the unfolded fabric absolutely smooth. Then carefully line up the selveges and match the torn edges with an expected fold along the lengthwise grain of the fabric. Now using spray starch, lightly apply and keep these edges together starting at the selvege and easing any excess toward the folded edge with a dry iron. Lightly apply more starch as needed. She told us that starch has an additive that "relaxes the fabric" and no other product has this additive. Using sizing or Best Press is fine after the fabric is straightened, pressing to set seams, etc., though she personally prefers to use only starch. She recommends "Faultless" brand above all others.

I have to tell you that straightening the grain before cutting fabric makes a world of difference in the ease of sewing blocks. I have always relied on using plenty of pins, but I didn't have to use pins hardly at all and my points were fabulous. My 4-patch and 9-patch units were perfect. The seams line up and nest together like gangbusters.

6 members from our local quilt guild took her class and we were all amazed and will follow her method from now on.

Now, I did go to the $ Store this afternoon, and bought 2 cans of Niagara Heavy Duty spray starch for a$1.15, and 2 cans of Magic Spray Sizing because that was the brand they had on the shelves. And I will continue to use the Best Best lavender. I love it, but for straightening fabric, I'll go with Harriet's recommendation and stick with Niagara Heavy Duty.

If any of you ever have an opportunity to take her Freshman Class workshop, check it out. $95 for two 8-hour sessions, plus the purchase of the book, which also included a sandwich bar the first day and chef salads the second day at a local quilt shop. The shop owner provided that lunch as part of the workshop. Harriet lives in a western suburb of Denver. CO. She has a website so anyone interested could check her schedule. It was money well spent.

I've read many of the messages with interest but this is my first time jumping in with any infomation. Please excuse the wordiness of my posting. I'm an enthusiastic supporter of Harriet's method and thought others might be interested.

I'm new too and am just starting to post after lurking for quite a long time. Thank you for your informative post. I also love Mary Ellen's Best Press in lavender!