View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008, 07:31 AM
rayone

First let me apologize, as i'm sure this is a very much repeated topic (but i'm desperate and need advice now). I was working with my MIL's sewing machine, it was a Singer she bought on sale at the base exchange (i don't know the model). Well, it broke it last night, the handwheel stopped turning. We took the whole thing apart and can't figure it out. Instead of getting it fixed we have both decided to just get a new one.

Now welcome to my problem... where the heck do I start? Do you have any suggestions on a basic sewing machine for a new quilter who doesn't want to spend lots of money. I haven't decided if this will become a full-time hobby or not, i'm thinking about one quilt a year. I haven't decided yet about machine quilting or having someone do it for me.

I'm desperate for a machine right now too! I'm about 3 blocks (out of 45) away from having all my blocks sewn together and i'm just itching to put together the rest of my first quilt!!! I'm willing to spend a little bit of money, obviously the cheapo machine doesn't work and i don't want to have to keep buying a new one, but my pockets are not that deep so i need a very affordable one.

Thank you so much if you have any suggestions!!