Old 08-26-2010, 02:11 PM
aorlflood

Originally Posted by Kathleen charnell
I'm doing great! I have seen a lot of your quilting that you have done for Jan, just awesome! Now you'll rally be cranking out the quilts with your new frame. I have been super busy making quilt tops, I have about 9 that need quilted now. I have been doing more hand applique & I have an 80 yr old lady that does some hand quilting for me. The other quilts I have done by 1 or 2 girls that have a long arm . Who taught you how to quilt? Noone in my family quilted. I never had any grandmas & my mom didn't even own a sewing machine. My Dh bought me a 730 Bernina with the stitch regulator, but so far I haven't thought my quilting is good enough . I guess I'll just have to keep on practicing on tabletoppers or runners.
I come from a long line of quilters since my Dad came from a Mennonite background! However, my mom didn't quilt and other than being "around" quilts and learning to love quilts, the education from family stops there!

I have never taken any classes so everything I know has come from books, internet, and other quilters.

As for learning to hand quilt...
I went to a quilt show before I ever started quilting...
There was a lady there selling a quilt hoop...
She had a sandwich in the hoop and offered passerbys to sit and and test using the quilting hoop by putting a few stitches in the sandwich.
I told her I didn't know how to handquilt but always wanted to learn.
She sat down and demonstrated how to do a "rocking" quilt stitch...then had me sit down and she walked me through it!

I went home and through some fabric together with some batting and away I went!!! LOL

Been handquilting ever since except for the 6 years I had to stop because of carpal tunnel syndrome. Had carpal tunnel surgery and went back to handquilting 2 weeks after having my right hand done!!!

The rest is history!