View Single Post
Old 08-27-2010, 01:04 AM
Gerbie

Originally Posted by Boscobd
My DH and I are going to be visiting my parents for the week after Labor Day. They live in Sheridan WY and there's not a whole lot to do there after checking out the local shops and playing a round or 2 of golf.
Then it dawned on me - take a quilting project to work on! My Mom has a sewing machine set up in her computer room (she doesn't sew much any more, but keeps it available just in case).
So, rather than sitting up in the kitchen around the table gabbing, we can sit in the computer room and I can stitch away while we get caught up! Tonite I "kitted up" a baby quilt that will use a fairly simple pattern so I don't have to concentrate totally while sewing and gabbing and am ready to go! WooHoo - I've never had a "quilting" vacation before! :-D
Sounds like a real winner, and fun too. I almost always take my black bag of hand sewing or cross stitching with me in the car when we go out of town for whatever. To shop or go to the Dr. we have to go out of town to do so. I sometimes get a lot of stitching done, and sometimes none, but I have it with me just in case. I really like the idea of making up a quilt kit for the trip, and you're right you might as well be doing something constructive while visiting. If your mom quilts or even if she doesn't if you have a small project that needs to be cut out, perhaps she can do that for you while you are sewing up the other one. She might really enjoy that too. Have fun quilting and gabbing. Want to see pics of finished product when you get back.