Old 08-27-2010, 05:43 AM
Lostn51
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles
I actually took a class on cleaning and caring for my FW a few months ago. Our teacher collects FW's and has about 15 them. She only keeps the pristine ones for herself! She has a crinkle finish. She said the crinkle finish did not do well so very few were made. She told us that if we find a 'real' crinkle finish to get it -- that they are extremely rare! I don't remember, but I believe she told us the year/years that the crinkly finish was made?

Nancy
The whole idea behind the wrinkle finish was to cut down on glare. Back when the White Sewing Machine Company came up with it in 1928 or so (yes they helped develop the paint) it was because folks used there treadles and machines by windows and sometimes there was a glare like you would not believe coming off of the bed of the machine.

Singer picked it up after the patent was over and then they started using it on certain machines and factory refurbished machines.

If you have a wrinkle finish machine you will see why it never really took off. Its like trying to slide fabric over 100 grit sandpaper, it just does not happen. I have a Singer 27 that is a wrinkle finish to and it looks great but it is not really user friendly when it cones to sewing.

Billy