View Single Post
Old 08-05-2008, 06:25 AM
rayone

Originally Posted by Loretta
I have a question about the broken machine. If it is only 3 years old, it probably could be fixed quite easily. Even if you buy her another machine, this one could be used. Some machine places will look at the machine and give you an estimate without charge, and some charge a labor fee. But that is usually only 25 dollars. (I would be curious as to what is wrong with the machine before I discarded it.) Just a thought to save our landfills.
I've left it up to her to see if she wants to fix it or not (i have offered to pay for the repairs). I'm sure it could be fixed, but i don't think she wants to put any more money into a machine that she doesn't like and was a "doorbuster" sale machine. We called around to all the sewing places and we haven't' found anyone yet who will give us a free estimate. We have determined it was something with a gear within the sewing machine. All of the other parts are still moving. we can see the handwheel missing a gear or it skips over to the next one, and it won't turn towards you at all. And i wouldn't worry about filling up the landfill. My MIL is the type to keep it around and maybe one day it might just work (just like the old TV, computer, and VCR). :)

I ended up going to Sears last night and picked up this machine.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02015358000P?mv=rr

I was very pleased with the reviews the machine had on the website. And of course I bought the warranty plan. heck, if i can break a sewing machine in three weeks, it was a definitely a good buy. LOL

Originally Posted by Elizabeth A.
Since you have most of your blocks done it would be a good idea to measure what your seams are on the blocks you have done. Then by moving the needle and/or where you line up your fabric attempt to get that same distance with your new machine. This will help to maintain the same size blocks as those you already created.
Thank you so much, I would of never had thought of that.