View Single Post
Old 06-28-2007, 06:39 PM
dorsar

I am new to the quilting forum..I read your question about the butterfly quilt. I looked at the web site you found. I love the butterflies.
Now I hope some of you can help me.

I have a question. Years ago my mother embroidered by hand, 30 butterfly quilt squares. They are absolutely beautiful. None of them are the same color; they are the same outline pattern, but each butterfly is a different colors. She embroidered them on unbleached muslin, which I am almost positive she did not pre-wash
I would like to pre-wash the squares before I try putting them together. Since they are all outlined in black thread, I am afraid the thread will run on the muslin. I am also afraid the other colors will run as well.
My question is , how can I wash these squares to prevent them from being distorted and the colors running and ruining them. I have had them at least 15 years sealed in an air tight plastic bag. Waiting until I retired and had the time to quilt them. They are priceless to me.!!! I am now retired and still do not have time, but I truly intend to do this quilt.
I certainly do not want to ruin them. I want to hand this down to my grand daughter some day. thanks for listening to me. Hope you can help me. ..Dorsa