Old 08-27-2010, 07:05 PM
jraff

I lead a quilting group monthly at our church who makes simple baby and comfort quilts to be given out. One person came in with antique crazy quilt squares. Someone had found them in mother's attic after her death. So K wanted me to do something wonderful with them so that we could sell them in some shape or form and give the money to an outreach program or something else worthwhile. I had 21 10" squares and 17 9" squares. Anyway, I was able to create (on paper) an "almost" twin size with some sashing and borders. I suggested table runners or wall hangings with 4 to 6 in each, so that we could spread the number of items made. Two meetings later, she still wouldn't accept my explanation that I couldn't make a queen size out of the limited number and odd sizes. It finally dawned on me that SHE wanted the quilt and SHE wanted it queen-sized for something at her fabulous home.

I finally gave her all the blocks back and said that I couldn't help her. It actually would have made me dizzy even trying to sew them. She's got a machine, and she's the one with the great ideas.... But she still probably doesn't know what size a queen size bed is.