View Single Post
Old 08-27-2010, 07:31 PM
PMY in QCA-IL

First of all, be sure your applique pattern is reversed since you will be fusing on the WRONG side of the fabric. I only make templates if I have a lot of the same shape to make, otherwise just trace the pattern on the paper side of the fusible product using a pencil or a permanent extra-fine marker. (I make plastic templates for repeated shapes like leaves, etc. and just trace around the template.) It helps to trace all the pieces using the same fabric as a group so you can fuse that to a larger piece of fabric and then cut out the individual pieces. Anyway, after tracing your pattern, cut the fusible product apart as needed - rough cutting around the traced pieces. Follow the manufacturer's directions on the fusible product to fuse to the wrong side of the fabric. At this point, cut on the line around your pattern pieces. I like to leave the paper on the pieces until I'm ready to fuse the applique to the background fabric. (Simply fold and crease the fabric and paper to the paper side and the paper should be easy to release - if not, scratch the paper with a straight pin to score it slightly and you can peel it off.) Arrange the applique pieces, right side up, on your background and fuse, again following the manu. directions (they all vary) If you have small pieces it helps to hold them in place with a long straight pin or even a hat pin when fusing. Hope this helps answer your questions and was not T.M.I.!!