View Single Post
Old 08-27-2010, 10:01 PM
AbbyQuilts

Originally Posted by JanTx
I have finished a quilt top for my 2-year-old grandson. It's made of flannel - solid 6 inch squares alternating with 4 piece rails. All flannel. THat I did not prewash because I had not read enough on here before I made it.

So here's where I need help. I'm not going to put batting - just a flannel backing. Then I had planned to machine quilt it diagonally through the blocks - does that make any sense? Should I prewash the backing material and the quilt top before I put them together? Would that help?

It will have a small border. It's toddler bed size - exactly the size of the top of a twin bed. When he's a bit older they plan to get him a bunk bed and I thought I could add a wide border then to make the same quilt large enough.

HELP!!!
Flannel shrinks a lot. I am worried that if you wash the top now that it will shrink weird. But if you dont I know it will shrink weird.

Someone else that has been through that may be able to chime in on the best way to handle that.

About the batting.
I would put something in it. I made a flannel quilt for my dog and didn't use any batting just 2 prices of flannel together and it is really thin like a flannel sheet.
If I was to do it over I would at least put a 3rd layer of flannel in the middle..

Also Welcome to the boards you will find lots of help here!!!!