View Single Post
Old 08-28-2010, 03:23 AM
teacherbailey

Originally Posted by JanTx
I have finished a quilt top for my 2-year-old grandson. It's made of flannel - solid 6 inch squares alternating with 4 piece rails. All flannel. THat I did not prewash because I had not read enough on here before I made it.

So here's where I need help. I'm not going to put batting - just a flannel backing. Then I had planned to machine quilt it diagonally through the blocks - does that make any sense? Should I prewash the backing material and the quilt top before I put them together? Would that help?

It will have a small border. It's toddler bed size - exactly the size of the top of a twin bed. When he's a bit older they plan to get him a bunk bed and I thought I could add a wide border then to make the same quilt large enough.

HELP!!!
The easiest thing for you to do is to use a fleece backing instead of flannel. The fleece will be warmer and thicker and much better than flannel....just put the top on the fleece, pin to hold together and quilt as you had planned. Then finish off the edges----the easiest way is to fold the fleece edges to the front, covering the edges of the quilt top, and stitch down. The fleece backing can be heavily used and washed and never even shows wear! (I have one going on 12 years and no problems!) I would NOT wash your top now. Flannel frays horribly most of the time and washing it with unfinished edges will create a nightmare. Wash it after you finish. Because of shrinkage there will some puckers or whatever, but it will be fine. Private message me with any more questions. Good luck!