Old 08-28-2010, 12:42 PM
Rachelcb80

Originally Posted by Lostn51
You know Rachael the more I look at this quilt (yes it keeps drawing me back :-D ) I am realizing the massive amount of work that you put into the applique and the small details. I really love the "steam"stitching on the cauldron, but the Spider Web and the Skeleton had to be a logistical nightmare!!

You really have me wanting to try something small first like place mats or hot pads just to see if I can get the technique down first. Looks like its time to pull the old electric out and get to work!! :-D :-D :-D

Billy
Glad to know my quilt keeps bringing you back AND is inspiring you! :D

The steam from the cauldron is done by hand with a stem stitch. I didn't realize how much embroidery embellishment this quilt had until I got to doing each block. The moon face has a lot of stem stitching, as well as the cat/owl block. That was another first for me and I got better at it with each block. It's not something that I will purposely pursue in the future though. I didn't find it all that enjoyable but it was necessary for this quilt.

The spider web really wasn't all that hard, just boring (working with the same plain white fabric the whole time). The center with the lines radiating out is all one piece, but then each of the curved web lines are individual. It went together easy enough, just a lot of stitching around each piece. The skeleton again wasn't hard, but I did have to do a lot of him by hand. Both his feet, hands and teeth are all done by hand due to their very small size.

Do a small project first to get your feet wet, then you'll see how easy it really is and you'll jump into something big in no time! :)