Old 08-28-2010, 07:19 PM
aardvarq

Here is one you probably haven't heard before.

I hosted a fund raiser yard sale in my driveway during our local community-wide yard sale, today. We raised a nice bit of change for a scholarship fund.

Well, last night while folks from our program were dropping off donations to be sold, I went out to help one lady bring in boxes to store in my garage for the next morning.

Along with a number of cartons we carried in, there was a little cloth covered box that reminded me a bit of an old portable record player. I eyed it suspiciously and asked her what it was she was donating.

Yep, right, you got it. Somebody brought a Featherweight TO . . . My yard sale!

I have been watching all the online lists and visiting thrift stores and antique shops for the past three years watching for a featherweight cheap enough and near enough not to have to ship. . . and it walks into my garage.

Go figure.

She had been storing the machine quite a few years for one of her daughters. She is an old friend who doesn't sew and knew I pieced quilt tops. But, she viewed the 221J as a hand-me-down old sewing machine a neighbor lady had given her daughter many years ago.

You know Antiques Road Show when people's jaws drop and then they freak out after they have learned they possess a treasure? She did manage to calm me down and insisted that I sit and play with the machine for a while. I was told that I looked like I needed a rest after the shock of the discovery.

Yes, I bought my first featherweight from my own yard sale :-)