View Single Post
Old 08-29-2010, 04:33 AM
catmcclure

Originally Posted by Conniequilts
I don't generally weigh in on topics like this but it has been consistent and confusing.

This is my view point (right or wrong) - I have paid for the pattern so what I make with it is my business and what I do with it after that is my business.

I understand I should not re-sell the pattern and especially not for a profit. I also have no problem with respecting not copying it and sharing it with others.

I strongly believe their control over a quilt should END with the purchasing of the pattern.

Just my thoughts ;)
I design quilts and sell them in shops. I have a policy that anyone can make up to ten quilts and sell them. That is stated in the pattern. I think that should cover most quilters needs. If anyone wants to make more, I would like them to ask permission.

I am on a designer's forum where this issue comes up frequently. I have stated several times that I think it's the heighth of arrogance for me to sell a pattern for $10 or $15, and then (after someone spends up to $100 or more for fabric, a week or more cutting and piecing, then another $200 to $500 for backing, batting, and longarm work) tell them that the $15 or less they spent for my pattern should determine whether or not they can show or sell something in which they have invested hundreds of dollars and sometimes a hundred or more hours

By the way, the avatar to the left of this message is a copy of an 1830 quilt. I asked and got permission from the University to replicate the quilt in their collection.