Old 08-29-2010, 05:44 AM
dsb38327

Originally Posted by quilter2
We have a squirrel that comes and eats at the feeders, we have so many doves and cardinals. I try to chase the squirrel away, he's a little pig. I don't know what happened to my hummingbirds, not 1 in about a week, a couple of days ago I saw one fly up and look at the feeder and fly away. It seems early for them to leave.
This has been an off year for our birds too. I am down at least 100 birds from previous years. It is funny how you get used to knowing things about them. We have noticed:
They come and go before and after a thunderstorm or long rain.
They come in groups, hungry and tired.
The birds in the group look alike. Bigger birds. Small birds. The ones with the red throat. The ones with the yellowish tint to their feathers. The long, slender, brilliant green ones.
They can be here and gone an hour later.
You think they have gone and they come in for the night feeding before they go to roost.
Question: Last night when they were going to roost the air was filled with a sound that would make you think it was crickets. I have noticed this before and never gave it a thought. I think it was the hummers going into their trance state. The sound was in the trees they were going into for roost.
Nikkilu, Jolo, Lady-T, will you listen for this sound when they go to roost. Please let me know what you think. Everyone help me listen, I just don't know if you will hear it if you don't have lots of birds. Please let me know.
It is beginning to rain.

I filled the feeders last night. (Filled the big ones only 1/2 full)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]106766[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-106761.jpe   attachment-106763.jpe