View Single Post
Old 08-29-2010, 11:07 AM
rivka
Banned

There are so many things that are similar in nature to this debate:

- recipes. If I follow a recipe out of a book, does that mean I can't sell (or enter in the fair) the product of that recipe?

- art instruction books. If I buy a book, and follow the instructions in it on how to draw a picture, does that mean I can't sell or display publicly the product of that work?

- soap. There's tons of recipes out there for making handmade soap. Does that mean I can't follow someone else's instructions on how to make soap, and then sell the product?

- web design/programming. I speak from this personally. If I follow the instructions in a book on how to do something programming related, does that mean I can't distribute/sell the end product if it includes that code?

It all seems so ridiculous. People/companies sell instructions for items, so that other people can MAKE the product in question. They have copyright over the instructions themselves (meaning I can't copy the instructions and distribute them or sell them), but they should have NO control over the end product, in my opinion.

These quilting magazines that are declaring ownership/control over the quilts that are made from their designs are claiming more control than is given to them from copyright, if you ask me. Just because they say it is so, doesn't make it so.