Old 08-29-2010, 11:24 AM
cbuchanan

I just recently completely reorganized my quilting room. I had all of my fabric sorted by color but that included scraps and larger pieces. This wasn't helpful when I started looking for fabrics to make a quilt. So I pulled out everything 1/2 yard and over. sorted it by color and ruler-folded it. All of this is in my Ethan Allen cabinetry I got from my Mom.. Then I took all the smaller pieces and sorted them by color and they are in one of those hanging storage units you get a Bed,Bath and Beyond. I also use this unit to store zip lock bags that contain unfinished projects. (I have way too many because of this board: I see something, then run to my sewing room to try out the technique...once I play with it..it ends up in a baggie and I have no idea what or if I will ever do anything with those pieces.) The thing about having a large stash (and mine is small compared to some I have seen here) is that it affords me the opportunity to share with others without regretting it. I am blessed that for 3 years I haven't had to buy much material since I do mainly quilting for my church (Prayer Quilts) so I get a lot of donations of fabric so the stash keeps growing. I think "too much" is when you spend more than you can afford. Good luck with your organization. I found it was invigorating to have mine organized.