Old 08-29-2010, 06:57 PM
Toto's Mom

Originally Posted by Barbm
Deep in the middle of canning spaghetti sauce and tomatoes. Tons more to go.... Done with cucumbers and pickles. See some nice big pumpkins in the garden.

Want to get some peaches to can next. Have to cram it in- leaving Thurs. for NC to visit family.
OK, now I'm jealous! :mrgreen: lol
After weeks of 100+ temps here, my tomatoes, bell peppers and a few summer squash is all that is hanging on. Everything else burned up. I got 1 Baggie of green beans, before my vines died. I am still hoping to keep the rest alive long enough to produce. So far, I have gotten small peppers, and 3 golf ball sized tomatoes, out of 12 plants. Down in the upper 90's now, so with watering, maybe they will produce a Beefsteak tomato by October, that will suffice for a BLT.
Normally, I would be canning tomatoes too, making relish and pickles, and catsup.
This year, we have had a plague of grasshoppers that even ate the decorative monkey grass, moles, gophers, squash bugs and locusts.
It's been so hot I started putting out water for the rabbits, and the turtles have cooked their feet trying to cross roads, to find a stock tank that had water.