View Single Post
Old 08-29-2010, 10:52 PM
bonniebusybee

Originally Posted by QuickStitch
Beautiful job and beautiful quilt. Did you just use the lone star pattern and spiral cut the center, or did you have a specific pattern for that too. Sorry, I'm just a new quilter. Thanks
Hi, QuickStitch. Don't apologize for your inexperience; we all had to start somewhere. The spiral was achieved by "fussy-cutting". You just pick a particular part of the pattern of the fabric that will give you the effect you want, and then individually place your template on that exact same part eight times for the Lone Star center. I tried several different spots before I found the one I liked best. It helps to use a "negative template" (a block cut OUT of a larger piece of template material), to view the fabric, and then place that in various spots until you find the one you want to repeat. It would have been beautiful if I could have fussy-cut the large ring of blocks that used the border print, but it was a Waverly fabric at $30/yard, and there's a lot of waste when you start fussy-cutting. Good luck!