Old 08-30-2010, 07:06 AM
Ps 150

Originally Posted by jojo47
It's been fun - and informative - reading this thread.

When my girls were in high school, I made lots of prom dresses for them, and for some of their close friends. I can't recall how much I was paid, but it was more fun to see their faces light up when they donned their dresses. (I got to keep the leftover fabric. (Can you say 'Crazy Quilt?)

I do some mending for family only, and like many of the grammas here, I can't say 'no' to a request from a grandchild. Oh, I also do favors for favorite nieces, but they return small favors at some time.

My favorite non-quilting sewing is that of creating christening gowns...my grandniece looked beautiful in hers in April. I did it as a gift...her mom looked for one for her, but they were quite expensive, so I offered to make one.
Exactly! I normally make clothes for my daughters since they're tall and lanky and most clothes from the rack don't fit right but it's worth every moment when their eyes sparkle. But, also, I think it's important to remember that you offered to make the christening gown. Some others can just be so pushy. I've turned down a few family members when their requests got to be too crazy (like a full tuxedo for a family member...sorry, don't know how to tailor).

I don't have grandchildren (and according to my 6 year old daughter, I'll never get them from her, lol--"Boys are wierd and they don't know anything!") but when my girls want something special, I can't turn them down. But, now they both have their own Janome Quilter's Companion machines so I don't think they'll be needing me much longer. :cry: My oldest has already made herself a few shirts and one skirt and my youngest is getting the hang of sewing straight lines.