View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 07:11 AM
costumegirl

I always check the shipping and then calcullate that in for my cost per yard. Sometimes it's way over the top for sending to Canada.

Many times it isn't expensive with the USPS flat rate global envelopes and boxes but it seems that some companies almost double the true cost for 'international' shipping. It may be that they do not wish to worry about the hap-hazard tracking of international mail (which I really don't blame them) or that they do not wish to fill in the correct paperwork that goes with it.

Whatever you do, be sure that they do not send you anything through the private companies like Fed Ex, UPS or any of the others. Always insist that shipping is through the US postal system. I learned the hard way and didn't inquire about shipping method and got slapped with a huge brokerage charge on top of the money already paid for shipping cost. When using these companies the receiver must pay, on delivery of the parcel, all brokerage fees that are required for cross border shipping. These fees can amount to 50 - 75% of the value of the parcel depending on what the merchandise is. This is paid to the delivery person at your door and can be quite a shock!!

I like dealing with Hancock's of Paducah - they are very fair and reasonable.