View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 08:29 AM
2ursula

Not so fast.
Not everything anybody publishes has copyrights attached to it.
I can e.g. in my own words write about the fun I had making my first quilt (doing it three times over), explaining how to do it right after losing that crazy idea that it is easy as pie and a full-sized quilt can be done in a day.
I can write how I finally learned to make Ohio stars without mangling the corners.

I just cannot go ahead and take somebody else's report on his/her experience and reproduce it as my own. Who would want to do it anyway.

If you want to write your own quilting instructions in your own words the way you think is right, then go ahead. Doing it does not infringe on anybody's rights, copyrights or any other rights.

The operative words are "reproducing somebody else's UNIQUE ideas" and "NOT COMMONLY KNOWN".

There is no legal way of claiming copyrights or patent rights on COMMONLY KNOWN or COMMONLY AVAILABLE patterns.

That's it.

If you can prove that the patterns/blocks you use have been used for decades by thousands of quilters you will be fine. Nobody will find a lawyer who will take you to court for it. They know that they will lose every time.

You cannot claim rights on commonly known facts, products or procedures. (Think about it. This would be rights based on a craft that has developed in the public domain.)

Just don't reproduce the entire quilt stitch by stitch and sell it by the dozens. Always remember. The indignated designer can only sue you for the DAMAGES he can prove. (Nobody goes to jail for copyright infringement and you pay punitive damages only if somebody can prove bad intent.)

Let's all go have fun quilting.

Leave the designers dreaming about pie in the sky (like making money on a quilt design that has been around in many variations since the Civil War.) Meanwhile, you create something unique and beautiful the way people have done for centuries.