View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 11:59 AM
JoanneS

My first computer machine was a Viking, which I bought in 1988. I loved it almost to death. When I updated 8 years ago, I bought a Pfaff, because it has a built in dual feed. I updated again this year and bought another Pfaff - this time an embroidery machine - and I also bought 4DExtra so I could design my own embroidery and quilting patterns. 4D Extra is also available for Viking - they are both the same company, though the machines are not the same. If you're into free-motion quilting, tell the dealers. Viking, Pfaff and Bernina all have an add-on with a stitch regulator. If yo've never tried one, you'll be amazed!!! Try all the machines to see what you like best. I agree with everyone - wait till the new ones come out. If you don't need the latest and greatest, you'll get a better price on 'last year's' greatest! That's what I did. You can download updates if you buy a Pfaff, which is a WONDERFUL feature. Finally, while you are checking out machines, check out the dealers, too. This is an important relationship, right up there with your DH and hairdresser! If you have a good dealer, she provides lessons and lots of classes plus help when you get stuck.