View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 07:51 PM
fktsewing

I totally agree--the quilting magazines will be the ones to pay the price---I buy them to get ideas, and although I rarely sell a finished quilt,since it is in a published magazine, the decision should be mine--the mag paid the creator for their design, and the mag gets their money from the sale of the magazine---if you don't want people to make quilts from your design, then don't publish it. We went through this a few years back with doll and animal patterns which were being bought and made to sell at craft shows--some companies/designers stated that you had to have permission to make and sell them from their pattern and some only stated that they could not be mass produced(numbers would be in the hundreds) Guess which companie/designers are no longer in business. As for quilt shows, all of us have our own color combinations, and special touches we do to every quilt we make so unless you make it exactly like the pattern in every color and detail, I do not think they have the right to go after you. Besides,most patterns have some sort of "public domain pattern" in them somewhere. I quit McCalls over a year ago--I still do get McCalls Quick Quilts and the new Quick Quilts magazine because the quilts are fast and simple. You can have the rest.