View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 06:06 PM
miholmes

We recently moved into a house that had a 50's kitchen. We remodeled it and I was fortunate enough to rescue the old kitchen island.

I then bought a piece of damaged OSB board from my hardware store for $10 and secured it to the top of the island. After that I purchased a large cutting mat from Joann's when they were having their 50% sale and created a cutting board at the perfect height. :)

The other bonus....STORAGE under the cutting board. I store my serger, books, and other notions under there keeping my stations nice and tidy.

Craigslist and the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store are a good place to find old kitchen island for little to no money. I searched for on in my area and found one for $25.

For my NEXT project this weekend I want to make my own ironing board so it can accomedate a full width of fabric. So I'm going to make one with OSB - Batting - and Canvas. And it can easily sit on top of my cutting station. Space saver AND time saver now that I will be able to iron more cloth at once. :)

Cutting board up close
[ATTACH=CONFIG]108531[/ATTACH]

Sewing room
[ATTACH=CONFIG]108532[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-108526.jpe   attachment-108527.jpe