View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 11:19 PM
Borntohandquilt

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Really old hand quilted quilts are quilted 1/8th to 1/4th of an inch apart over the whole quilt. Batting was originally just handfuls of carded cotton laid cross ways to each other on the backing. The only way to keep it from bunching up was to quilt it very close.
And I love to do it in a similar way, although it is not longer necessary when using our today's materials like needle punched battings etc. It's wonderful to touch these densely quilted quilts and they have a beautiful drape.
For me the longarm quilted items are a totally different thing in every way. I really admire and respect that kind of work, but I must admit that sometimes it's "too much" for me. Some of my quilting buddies from here visited the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham, UK, a few weeks ago and they all told me that there were only very few hand quilted items to see. That really makes me sad. I hope that all techniques and all styles of quilted work can stand side by side in an eqal way - and in an equal number.