Old 09-01-2010, 01:41 PM
patricej
Administrator

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
I guess what I'm asking is, there are lots of places that charge more than actual USPS cost for shipping, and I'd hate to think that shoppers view them as less than reputable, based just on that.

Your thoughts?
i think it must cost more to prepare a product for shipping than it does to sell it to in-person customers.

-fetch it from stock
-measure & cut
-deduct from inventory
-pack for shipping
-weigh it
-print and plaster the postage onto the box
-get it to shipping area
-organize for pickup or transport to shipper's location
-keep and track shipping record
-establish, track & maintain customer account records
-credit/debit card fees, paypal fees, or the cost of manually processing paper checks received in the mail

everything after the cutting step involves extra time, which means salary, benefits, tax and supplies expenses. all of that is incurred in addition to the actual price of postage or commercial carrier fees.

therefore, a reasonable handling fee above actual postage is not out of line. we tend to forget that.

i don't mind paying a bit extra for the convenience of being able to shop at any hour of the day or night - holidays included. i can shop in my jammies and fuzzy slippers. heck - i could shop nekkid if i wanted to. i don't have to drive anywhere, shlep packages, or stand in line.

on those rare occassions i come across a vendor that charges what my instincts tell me are unreasonable fees i will close out and move on.

most of the time, though, i feel i've come out ahead.