View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 05:04 PM
virginialbrown

One of the reasons I like Fons and Porters Love of Quilting is because they show you how to machine quilt your project. Seems that there is massive quilting on some quilts or rows and rows of the same design with the panogram. (sp) I was in one shop when they were quilting rows of apples. Not on my quilt. We need to think out the design before we jump into it. I am also tired of everything stippled or yards of feathers though I do love the feathers but, not on everything. The quilting should enhance the quilt not bury it. I had my daughter quilt on her sewing machine my Winterwonderland Quilt with hugh hand embroidered blocks all in blue floss on white fabric with snowflake print. She did some stars in it here and there as she meandered over it and she added crystals to the big snowflakes here and there. I had it on the wall for 4 months and I enjoyed my own efforts of embroidery of all the snow people and trees and how beautiful she did the machine quilting. The crystals caught your eye with a sparkle of light. They complimented each other. Love it. The massive design might look pretty on plain fabric but, I will stick with lightly quilted. It serves the purpose of holding the layers together. I have also heard quilters say that I don't feel like I made the quilt when others do it on long arm. I am fortunate to have a quilt that my great great grandma made and the hand work of quilting with the cotton they used in late 1800 is pretty lumpy in that one. They dyed fabric blue for the solid color. It has that lived in look if you know what I mean.